Keeping old kern table

Hoops

Keeping old kern table

Post by Hoops »

Hi Tim,

I look for informations on this forum but I didn't find anything about keeping old kern table of an existing file and let Kern On adds new ones aside the old ones. Is it possible? If I want to choose the option of using existing kerning from the start KernOn window the machine deletes the old kern table as soon as I start to dialogue with the machine...
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Re: Keeping old kern table

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Do you have a font that is kerned completely, manually, and want to add more glyphs, and automate the kerning for these new glyphs? That’s not possible with Kern On at the moment, I am afraid. It is a sensible request, of course, as it is not a rare scenario. I will try to implement features that allow for extending the kerning after extending the glyph set.
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Re: Keeping old kern table

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Or, do you have a font that is partly kerned, i.e. you have given it some kerning but it’s not finished yet, and you want KO to kern the rest? Then you can choose “re-work the existing kerning”, and KO will automatically select the models for you. At first, it will erase all existing kerning but, as you autokern the whole font (using the “Kern On” button), the generated kerning should be similar to the old one. It will not work without some manual checks and tweaks but I think it’s a feasible process.