Keyboard short-cuts

claegg

Keyboard short-cuts

Post by claegg »

I can’t remember if there was ever keyboard short-cuts in KO? In any event I can’t find a short-cut to change the kerning values with the newest version. Using the Glyphs built-in short-cuts for kerning does nothing (was it always like that? I can’t remember).

What I am l looking for are keyboard short-cuts to change the KO value of the pair around the cursor.
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Re: Keyboard short-cuts

Post by Tim Ahrens »

I think I realised what causes the confusion. Generally, you can use the Glyphs UI to set kerning values (including keyboard shortcuts and the little text box for the value). If a pair is an auto pair then it will switch to model once you change it via Glyphs. So, the shortcuts should work.

However, there is a function in Kern On that interferes with the Glyphs shortcuts: As of version 1.09 (from 13 January 2022), you can hold Ctrl while a model is active, and this will temporarily show the value the pair would get if it was switched to an autopair. So, it’s a kind of what-if preview. I use it a lot and find it more convenient than switching the model to auto and back. Because holding Ctrl temporarily changes the value in Glyphs, using the shortcuts based on Ctrl with cursor keys will change the kerning based on the temporarily set hypothetical what-if-autokerned value.

Not sure how important the Glyphs keyboard shortcuts are, or whether there is an elegant way of solving this, maybe by using a different modifier key to trigger the autokerning preview? Or will this break something else?
claegg

Post by claegg »

That sounds about right – the CTRL and OPT issue. Mousing it is kinda slow but workable.

I think you should make a new set of kerning shortcuts, that is, if you can override all the usual Glyphs shortcuts while the KernOn window is open.
claegg

Post by claegg »

I’m stuck here because no keyboard shortcuts exist, and mousing it won’t let me set an Ind. value.
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

If you just click on the “Ind.” segment that should set an independent model, no?
claegg

Post by claegg »

It activates the Ind. button, but I can’t change the value.
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

For independent pairs, you can set the value
  • by typing a number into the kerning value field on the Kern On panel
  • by using the cursor keys in this field (plus Shift or Cmd+Shift as desired)
  • by typing into the kerning value field on Glyphs’ built-in Info panel
  • by using the cursor keys in this field (plus Shift or Cmd+Shift as desired)
claegg

Post by claegg »

Alright. The cause of confusion is that for everything else I have to change values with the mouse on the slider. Everywhere except here, where you can not use the mouse on the slider.

The cursor keys left/right just move the cursor. If I select the Ind. number and use the cursor keys (with our without Cmd) I just select the individual numbers in the number. Am I supposed to be able to change the Independent value with the cursor (+Cmd and/or Shift) keys?
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

claegg wrote: 13 Dec 2022 The cause of confusion is that for everything else I have to change values with the mouse on the slider. Everywhere except here, where you can not use the mouse on the slider.
Well, for models you can change values with the mouse on the slider. The methods I mentioned above always work.

That said, if I want to allow changing the value of independent pairs via the slider, what would be the allowed range? The idea is, being independent, any value is possible, so I’d be worried to cause confusion if I allow a certain, limited range via the slider.
claegg wrote: 13 Dec 2022 The cursor keys left/right just move the cursor. If I select the Ind. number and use the cursor keys (with our without Cmd) I just select the individual numbers in the number.
You need to use up/down, not right left. This works in practically every number field in Glyphs, also in RMX and most of the Freemix Tools. Sorry, I thought this was well-known. Looks like you missed out on an enormous efficiency booster in Glyphs!

Btw, cursor up/down to change number values seems to work in all Affinity and Adobe apps as well, just the Shift+cursor behaviour is slightly different (moves to the nearest multiple of 10 instead of changing by 10). Seems to be a popular concept – you just need to know.
claegg

Post by claegg »

I think the slider could be dynamic. Imagine a linear range of -3 -2 -1 0 1 2 3, the user would pull the handle to '1', KO would move the kerning value to '5' per second; at '2' '20' /s; at '3' '100' /s.

Regarding up/down arrow: I never use it. I always use the chords of modifier keys and left/right keys. I shall try to remember it.