Accented letters issue

Hoops

Accented letters issue

Post by Hoops »

Hello There,
I work extensively with kern on and now I'm starting to have more confidence with the tool and I ended up having really satisfying results. Nonetheless sometimes KO interprets some situations with no easy fix. Here is an example:
KO see the diacritics above the base glyphs and recalculate the amount of kern for the pair (See the Image attached, /a /n kerning pair), but in this case it is completely unuseful while in some letters like /i it makes much more sense. In this situation I'm going to put all the accented letters under the independent pair group (one by one). Is there a simpler way to fix the problem? Am I doing something wrong?
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 17.41.49.png
Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 17.41.49.png (457.2 KiB) Viewed 6306 times
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Re: Accented letters issue

Post by Tim Ahrens »

I am not sure I understand what is going on. Is /a/n a model? Maybe you want to send me the font?

Keep in mind that whenever you are not happy with an auto pair you can make it a model with the value you consider correct. Independent pairs should not be used for fixing what you are showing in your image, they are only meant to be for real exceptions, for pairs that do not follow the general spacing system of the font.
Hoops

Post by Hoops »

Quick update:
Rebooting the software and the problem seems to be fixed. Probably something didn't work properly and rebooting fixed everything. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Absolutely my fault not to check if the simplest way would have been the best way to solve the problem.
(ಥ﹏ಥ)
SCarewe

Post by SCarewe »

Things like this can often occur when components shift. Glyphs is not very good at updating the alignment automatically and re-calculating the sidebearings. Rather annoyingly, you have to open up all glyphs in text mode (just select all glyphs in font view and hit Cmd+T). Then step through all masters. That updates the alignment in all glyphs. Then close and re-open the file. Then Kern On will have the correct values and shouldn't produce these kinds of oddities anymore.