Over kerning

Jeremy

Over kerning

Post by Jeremy »

I've tried 'option 3' – Turning KO on with a fully kerned font.
KO is adding kerns where not needed and over kerning.
Obviously I've just opened a font and just run KO to see what it does without making any setting adjustments. What do I need to do to run an Auto kern and achieve acceptable results 'out of the box'.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-01-10 at 12.11.46.png
Screenshot 2021-01-10 at 12.11.46.png (387.02 KiB) Viewed 560 times
Screenshot 2021-01-10 at 12.11.30.png
Screenshot 2021-01-10 at 12.11.30.png (456.92 KiB) Viewed 560 times
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Re: Over kerning

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Hi Jeremy, thanks for the feedback! Which KO version were you using? If this is the result from version 0.9b5 then just try 0.9b6, it might be much better!

I have worked quite a bit on the “option 3” in the last few days, trying to get the result as close as possible to the manually kerned input. But it’s difficult to guess the designer’s intentions. I will definitely try to improve the system further.

Are your screenshots showing tabular figures? KO should recognize that via the tnum feature, and not generate any kerning for tabular figures.

The e- is clearly too tight. Have you tried simply setting it as a model (just give it 0 as a value)? Then KO will learn about the hyphen’s special spacing. Similarly for the quotes, it seems the automatic selection of models does not define the special spacing of the quotes, this is something I need to improve, to make sure each special spacing group has a model. My suggestion would be to set "H or "h as models (probably zero, I guess), which should fix the over-kerned pairs with a quote.

Note that Kern On is not fully automatic kerning, it is an assistant. I hope it would be very quick, maybe half an hour, to set the missing models, and hopefully enjoyable too. Also, the back-and-forth between you and KO might reveal some inconsistencies in the original manual kerning or even the spacing. So, consider this initial re-worked kerning as KO having played the ball – now it’s your turn!

Another thing I noticed: KO’s negative kerning for Ne and eb seem quite sensible but it’s difficult to judge from here, without surrounding letters.
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Tim, it's 0.9b6.

I'm guessing they are the default figs (Oldstyle Proportional). Didn't make a note as I was kind of distracted by the result. :)

I'll strip out the kerning and look at addressing KO properly – be a few days+ time though.

– I do pull in the gkyphs to 'b' in this style of 'b' (serif top & no foot serif). Though as a rule I don't over kern and keep things loose.

Does KO kern for a specific range of sizes? (I've not looked yet to see what you say on this in the instructions)
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Jeremy wrote: 10 Jan 2021 Does KO kern for a specific range of sizes? (I've not looked yet to see what you say on this in the instructions)
No, KO just follows your “instructions”, i.e. the models you set. The idea is that you start the work (kerning a handful of pairs, the models), and KO finishes it, hence the name, Kern On. Sometimes it has a few suggestions or complaints but ultimately it accepts that you are the boss. In other words, it tries hard to be a good assistant.