Response after "kern on" button

Gini

Response after "kern on" button

Post by Gini »

Hello Tim!

I've been testing the tool for a few days now, and had a little problem with final process, after pressing the "kern on" button: it does not finish, and at some point Glyphs (2) stops working.

I'm trying it in quite a large character set (1207 glyphs), in only one of 6 masters that I have in this file.

The numbers I'm using in the plugin are attached.
And the large amount of user-set autopairs are due to /dcaron and /lcaron.
I'm guessing this may not be the best way to approach it, but please clarify what I may be doing that is making the process more difficult.

Thanks in advance, and congrats for the tool!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 12.18.11.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 12.18.11.png (5.78 KiB) Viewed 7523 times
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Re: Response after "kern on" button

Post by Tim Ahrens »

If you have 6 masters and 1207 glyphs the finalization process will probably take quite long, my guess is 10–30 minutes depending on the computer. Unfortunately, you cannot finalize only one master.

If you are in the process of playing around with Kern On, and want to speed things up, you could set some (or most) of your glyphs to “No kerning”. That way, there will be fewer pairs to autokern, and fewer pairs to combine into classes. The 185 user-set autopairs don’t make much difference; there are probably around 100,000 pairs to be generated in a font with 1200 glyphs.

I will soon work on making the finalization faster, and the progress bar more accurate, there is some potential for improvement. Other aspects of the tool were just more important recently. Sorry!
Gini wrote: 30 Apr 2021 And the large amount of user-set autopairs are due to /dcaron and /lcaron.
Which are the pairs you had to add? Are there any combinations with /dcaron and /lcaron missing? If that’s the case I should add them to the default list of pairs.
Gini

Post by Gini »

Hello Tim!

Thanks for your answer.

About the time it takes to finish the process, I'm having trouble because it does not reach the end at all. I'm using an M1 Mac Mini with 16Gb RAM, and I tried waiting for up to 3 hours, but at some point, Glyphs (2) stops working, as I said, and kerning never finishes.
I've been testing with the entire character set to fully compare results, so I'm not sure if reducing the pairs now would give me the comparison I expect.

About the progress bar and all you said, of course there must be lots of things you're working on at the same time, no problem. :)

And regarding the /lcaron and /dcaron, I added all those pairs because even after using /lcaron+/i or /lcaron+/b as models, for example, similar pairs wouldn't be kerned, such as /lcaron+/igrave, /lcaron+/j, /lcaron+/l, and so on...
I was actually a bit confused why this happened.
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Three hours is definitely too long, there might be some kind of infinite loop. Would you mind sending me the file?

Not sure in how far it plays a role that on an M1, Glyphs 2 and Kern On for Glyphs 2 runs emulated in Rosetta. Have you tried Kern On in Glyphs 3? In that scenario both the app and the plug-in are compiled for the M1 and the autokerning might be much faster.
Gini

Post by Gini »

Hello Tim!

Today I tried the "kern on" button again and the process finished! :)
it took a bit more than 2 hours, though.

I haven't tried the Glyphs 3 yet because I haven't licensed it. I'll probably do it soon, but anyway, I can send you the font file so you can take a look. What's you email, please?
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Great! If you could send the font to beta2021@kern-on.com that would be very helpful.
Gini

Post by Gini »

Hello Tim!

Just to advance in the topic: I'm now using Glyphs 3 in the M1 Mac Mini, and still have the same matters. I also tried to use a file with 3 masters instead of 6, but Kern On and Glyphs stops working with about 3/4 of the process done (as showed by the advance bar) after pressing the "kern on" button.

Its may be something with my file, if nobody else had this problem.
I'm thinking that this could have a relation to using smart components in pretty much every glyph, maybe?
I'll try some more arrangements and get back to you.
:)
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Can you try again with today’s update (0.9b18)? I spent a few days making the finalization process faster and more robust. If you still have the problems with the new version, i.e. it stops working at some point, please let me know!
Gini

Post by Gini »

Hello Tim!
I'll keep on testing everything up, but for sure this matter had a huge improvement in my case! After the KO button, the proccess took about 20 to 25 minutes in the 6 masters 1000+ glyphs file, no crashes. :)
Also, the progress bar is way better indicating in wich master KO is working at the time.
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Glad it works better now! I released version 0.9b19 yesterday, which features a somewhat faster (and better) class generation.

I hope 20 to 25 minutes is acceptable for that size of project. Maybe I should include a “quick mode” that is somewhat less thorough/optimized? Or the option to fully kern only one master?
Gini

Post by Gini »

Hello Tim!

25 minutes is totally acceptable.

I'm not sure if I, personally, would use a "quick mode", but definitely an option to kern a single master would be great for me. This could let designers choose a more open workflow, trying one master, identifying the best models, testing, and then coming back to the rest.
:)