Problem with "Interpolate master kerning"

HugoJourdan

Problem with "Interpolate master kerning"

Post by HugoJourdan »

Hi Tim,

I'm working on a font project with 5 width in the same file and each width have 3 masters. (so I have a total of 15 masters). I have set models only for extreme weight of each width and tried to use "Interpolate master kerning" for regular masters.

So I have a set up like this :
- Compressed Thin [Models set]
- Compressed Regular [Interpolate master kerning]
- Compressed Black [Models set]
- Condensed Thin [Models set]
- Condensed Regular [Interpolate master kerning]
- Condensed Black [Models set]
etc...

But value interpolated with "Interpolate master kerning" are not correct.
I think KernOn doesn't detect correctly which source masters has to be select for each master set on "Interpolate master kerning".

I tried to keep only one width and run KernOn again, and this time master with "Interpolate master kerning", has been correctly interpolated.

Maybe it could be nice for master set on "Interpolate master kerning", to be able to indicate to KernOn which masters to select as interpolation source. Something like in the plugin "Kernkraft" by Mark Frömberg.
HugoJourdan

Re: Problem with "Interpolate master kerning"

Post by HugoJourdan »

I think I have a bit information about the cause of the problem.
When I enable and disable "Interpolate master Kerning", I found that KernOn create interpolated model pairs. But sometime some of these pairs are too tight or too loose for the master and KernOn switch them to Independent pairs.

It's seem that if this happen, "Interpolate master Kerning" not work correctly.
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Re: Problem with "Interpolate master kerning"

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Sorry about the late reply. Would you mind sending me the file?

Kern On uses the same interpolation coefficients as Glyphs. Can you try using “Re-interpolate” from the layers palette on the Compressed Regular master? Does it look roughly the same in terms of weight and width (except for corrections)?

Similarly, you could set up an instance (aka export) identical to the Compressed Regular master, and then disable the Compressed Regular using a custom parameter. That way, you will see an interpolated version. If it doesn’t look similar to the real Compressed Regular master then the master co-ordinates are not set correctly.