Glyphs3 extension crashes app

stephennixon

Glyphs3 extension crashes app

Post by stephennixon »

Problem:

I have a Glyphs file with some kerning, and 2 masters. It was opened from a designspace with UFOs, but then saved as a .Glyphs file.

When I try to do the kern on workflow (type 10 pairs that don’t need kerning), then hit the "Kern On" button, the entire app crashes.

I’m happy to email the font sources and any logs, if helpful.

PS: this tool seems really promising! Looking forward to seeing how it works.

Versions:
- Glyphs: 3.0.2
- Mac: 10.15.5 (Catalina)
- Kern On Trial (Downloaded June 18, 2021)
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Re: Glyphs3 extension crashes app

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Oh no. Sorry about this, and thanks for reporting it.

If you could send the file and the log that would be extremely helpful. I will have a look at it myself. Thanks!
stephennixon

Post by stephennixon »

No worries, issues happen in every tool!

Very basic question, but ... how do I find the log? I’ve checked in `~/Library/Application\ Support/Glyphs 3` and Googled a bit, but no luck so far. (I’m not as familiar with Glyphs as I am with RoboFont.)

Also, where should I send the log and font source? `■■■me@justanotherfoundry.com`?

Thanks!
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

I don’t think the crash logs are stored anywhere. If you can reproduce this, you could click on “send” or “report” (or similar) in the macOS crash dialog, then copy the report, and then click cancel (or similar). Unlike Glyphs 2, the Glyphs 3 crash report dialog doesn’t show the report any more.

In any case, if you could send the file to the address above that would be great. If I can reproduce it here I wouldn’t need any crash reports at all.
brianbrubaker

Post by brianbrubaker »

Hi Tim,

I'm having the same problem in Glyphs 3 as Stephen. Kern On works fine while creating the initial >10 models, but when I click to "Kern On", Glyphs crashes. Any idea what might be causing this? I tried clearing the existing kerning, updating features, restarting Glyphs, etc.

Also, I concur—this tool you've created is very promising indeed. Thank you so much!

My versions:
Glyphs 3.0.3 (3088)
Mac: 11.0.1 Big Sur
Kern On Trial (downloaded June 21st, 2021)
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

If this can be reproduced, i.e. it happens every time, would you mind sending me the file? Then I can have a closer look and it should be easy to fix the bug. Thanks!
brianbrubaker

Post by brianbrubaker »

Will do. Email to: ■■■me@justanotherfoundry.com?
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Yes, please.
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Thanks, got the file.

It appears that Glyphs 3 thinks (or at least tells Kern On) this font has an insanely high-height value, probably an un-initialized variable.

I need to get into Glyphs 3 in more detail but it seems this happens because you defined the x-height only for specific conditions (“Any of the following are true...”). Apparently this leads Glyphs to think there is no “default” x-height, and it returns a nonsense value if Kern On asks it about the x-height.

Is it Glyphs’ fault for not understanding what you mean as a default x-height? Is it your fault for specifying the conditions? Is it my fault for not foreseeing this scenario? Let’s not argue.

For now, you can fix the problem by removing the conditions for the x-height unless you had something specific in mind that requires these conditions.

I will get in touch with Georg and discuss how to handle this case when no explicit default x-height is set.

In any case, thanks for reporting this!
brianbrubaker

Post by brianbrubaker »

Ah, thank you! No argument here :-)

I set the parameters that way because I find it helpful to see the x-height in most scenarios. For example, by default, Glyphs 3 doesn't show the x-height when in Edit Mode of a capital letter. My workaround for displaying all the measurements was what you saw in my setup there.

Thanks for identifying the issue and for helping me find a workaround to my workaround!
Georg Seifert

Post by Georg Seifert »

@brianbrubaker
to get the xHeight shown everywhere, please add an extra metric with the same value and set it to undefined and call it x-Height (mate filter it to not show up in lowercase letters). But don't add filters to all the other metrics. That will mess up a lot.
brianbrubaker

Post by brianbrubaker »

Ah, thanks, Georg. That's very helpful!
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

For the record, related discussion on the Glyphs forum:
https://forum.glyphsapp.com/t/glyphs-3- ... view/16496
chrisjansky

Post by chrisjansky »

Hello,

I have somewhat replated problem: a font kerned in KO 1.01 now keeps crashing right on plugin initialisation after I updated to 1.02.

Other font files seem OK. Sending the ill-behaving font file to your email Tim so you can hopefully investigate.
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Thanks for sending the file, I will have a look.
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Thanks for reporting this, I just fixed the crash. It will be reflected in the next release.

What confused Kern On was that in the file you sent, the Remove Glyphs custom parameter contains a line with a comment (I was not aware this is allowed). Until the next release is out, would you mind deleting the comment line? At least that would be a temporary fix.