Stylistic sets and alts

Eben Sorkin

Stylistic sets and alts

Post by Eben Sorkin »

I think I recall reading that Kern-on looks to kern glyphs that have unicodes but not those with no unicode. In general this makes sense, but if you have stylistic sets you have to remember to code those manually at the end of the process - kind of like kerning for the workspace if you do that.

It may be that you could make a separate font with the stylistic set swapped in ( e.g. 'a.ss01' swapped for 'a' ), run kern on; and get your kern data to apply to a.ss01 from that. However, that might not save time vs just doing it manually with kern kraft or whatever.

So I have some questions:

1) Could Kern-on kern a select group of stylistic set varients by extending its existing logic? Maybe by treating .ss glyphs as if they used the unicode preceding the ".ssxx" name?

2) If it could, when might that happen? Obviously, no promises but I'm still curious.

3) If this is impossible what would you say is the most efficient way to move stylistic set kerning data from a swapped stylistic set font to the main one? Or would you advise against this model and say - 'No, that's a fool's errand. Don't even try that.'?
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Re: Stylistic sets and alts

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Hi Eben, Kern On applies your OT features and generates all relevant kerning pairs. No need to manually transfer any kerning. Btw, KO ignores the glyph names, all it needs is the OT features.

If there are any missing pairs, i.e. glyph-glyph pairs that you think should be kerned, but KO is not autokerning them please let me know and we’ll figure it out together!
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Btw, there is some information in the Under the Hood video at around 4:30.
Eben Sorkin

Post by Eben Sorkin »

I'll try this. Thanks!