Special spacing and related pairs

arthur

Special spacing and related pairs

Post by arthur »

Hello Tim,

I was wondering if there was a way that pairs with a special spacing have an influence only to a few glyphs. It may not be clear but with an example, it might be easier to understand.

LH have special spacing set to zero and I can't make it a model because of my other pairs. The thing is that ĻH set on auto has a value of -21 (it was what KO proposed for LH.) But I would like ĻH to follow the rule set for LH even though it has special spacing.

Is that possible or did I miss something there ?

Kern On rules, thanks a lot for the tool, it's just amazing.

Best,

Arthur
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Re: Special spacing and related pairs

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Hello Arthur, if Kern On really insists that your LH is inconsistent with other models then I’d strongly recommend to try to fix that. Note that you can use the “try again” button or simply set the model again (which has exactly the same effect), and maybe you will find a different pair that is the true culprit.

If you are really sure you want the LH like that, and Kern On refuses to add it as a model, then you can give the right side of the all the L’s (with and without accents) a new special spacing group, and set LH as a model (which will not be rejected). That way, the ĻH should get the same kerning as your LH model. Does that work?
arthur

Post by arthur »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the answer! It actually works fine, thank you for the tip.

Also, I was wondering one feature that could be very helpful on KO is to be able to set a threshold in order to avoid. Like kerning paris between 9 and 1 would be rounded down to 0. That'd be just amazing!

Anyway, thanks for the great work!
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Thanks for the kind words!

There is an internal threshold for the kerning value but you can’t modify it. This question has been discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=180