Kern On v 1.01

Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Kern On v 1.01

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Just published version 1.01. To update, head over to https://kern-on.com/update/

Changes in this version include:
  • Added feature: undo (to be found in the gear menu).
  • Added feature: show glyphs and models for current special spacing group (to be found in the special spacing menu).
  • “Show overview” now also shows standard-kerned glyphs, and has moved to the kerning type menu above.
  • The prioritization expressed by “trying again” is slightly improved.
  • If a model has to be removed, and special-spaced pairs are involved, Kern On now picks a more sensible pair to remove, better respecting the prioritization.
  • If special-spaced models influence autopairs, the min/max range is more correct (usually tighter) now. This means switching an autopair to model without changing its value should no longer lead to model removals. Note that this new behaviour may also affect autokerning in general.
  • Several smaller fixes and improvements.
rosaiani

Re: Kern On v 1.01

Post by rosaiani »

Hey Tim, it seems like the new versions is making Glyphs hang in the rainbow of death :)
I am opening a file that already had a setup using the previous version of Kern On.
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Thanks for reporting this, and sending the file.

In your calt feature, all substitution classes include the plain figures, so for the figures there is no real substitution, the glyphs are substituted with themselves. This does not seem to be forbidden, at least Glyphs allows it, but it does not have any effect either.

This self-substitution leads to an infinite loop in Kern On, and the beach ball. Of course, it’s a bug, and I have just fixed it. It will be in the next release. Until then, I’d recommend to remove the figures from @Uppercase.normal, @Lowercase.mono and @Mono, and Kern On should work normally again.
rosaiani

Post by rosaiani »

Perfect, that makes sense, even though I need to include figures in my feature – probably need to investigate how to make that "non-susbstitution" in a way that's not going to cause further issues
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Oops, I see what you mean. Removing them from the classes I mentioned will change the overall behaviour.

When I code calt, I usually try to differentiate between classes that trigger the substitution, and the substitution itself. On the other hand, I think it’s extremely important to stick to the Don’t Repeat Yourself rule, so you don’t want duplicate information in the classes. Probably you can set up a trigger class that includes the substitution class as well as the figures class (I guess you know that you can include one class in the other?).
Eben Sorkin

Post by Eben Sorkin »

This new version is working wonderfully well for me. Thank you!
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Great! Actually, the current version is 1.02. I just set up a new thread for that.