Special Spacing groups not maintained in UFO

colinmford

Special Spacing groups not maintained in UFO

Post by colinmford »

Hi Tim,

This might be a bit of an edge case, but I noticed a bug that I thought I should report. It seems like the special spacing definitions are getting lost when saving a font as a UFO.

Steps:
1. Open or create a Glyphs file with one master
2. Define some kerning and special spacing groups using Kern On.
3. Save Glyphs file as a UFO.
4. Close UFO and Re-open UFO in Glyphs. Turn on Kern On.
5. All glyphs are defined as "Standard Kerning", and thus there might be a bunch of conflicts that come up.

It seems like all the Kern On data that is usually saved in the .glyphs file is actually getting saved in the UFO — in the ufo's lb.plist there is a list of "KernOnModels", and in each ".glif" file, there is a "KernOnName" and a "KernOnSpecialSpacing" lib item. But, while the "KernOnModels" are getting read back in to Glyphs, the special spacing groups are not.

I'm not sure if this is a Glyphs problem or a Kern On problem. What do you think?
colinmford

Re: Special Spacing groups not maintained in UFO

Post by colinmford »

On further testing, it seems like it's a Glyphs bug, so I started a post here https://forum.glyphsapp.com/t/glyph-use ... -bug/19803
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Re: Special Spacing groups not maintained in UFO

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Thanks for testing, this was also my suspicion. Kern On is using the “official” technique to store the data in the font’s and glyphs’ userData so there’s not much I can do from my side. Let’s hope it will be fixed soon.