Kerning of ligatures not corresponding to the rest of the kerning

SiriLee

Kerning of ligatures not corresponding to the rest of the kerning

Post by SiriLee »

Hello.

I'm trying the plugin for the first time now. One thing that i don't understand is why my ligatures are not kerned with the same values as the corresponding letters from the ligature. For example the kerning of y+s is -16 whereas the kerning of f_y+s is -17. It's a small difference but get's worse with two ligatures after each other. f_y+s_t has a kerning of -10.

Is KO not able to align the kerning of ligatures with normal letters? Or am i doing something wrong?

Thank you.
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Re: Kerning of ligatures not corresponding to the rest of the kerning

Post by Tim Ahrens »

This sounds strange indeed. Are the shapes of the ligatures really identical to the letters?

Maybe you could send me the .glyphs file, then I can have a closer look!
SiriLee

Post by SiriLee »

Hello.

Thanks for the reply. Yes the shapes are identical. I have sent you an email with the fontfile. Appreciate your help!
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Just a quick recap: As discussed by e-mail, the reason for the inconsistent autokerning was that some letters accidentally has special spacing. I just implemented a dialogue that will warn the user if they set special spacing for letters – which, by concept, should never be necessary. So, it is still possible but the warning should help avoid setting it accidentally.