KO forgetting models upon file edit

SCarewe

KO forgetting models upon file edit

Post by SCarewe »

Hello, this is a rather unspecific title, sorry. So, my specific use-case:
I am using KO on a .glyphspackage file. I have 39 and 41 models (it's a small project) for each master, respectively. When I generate the final kerning, I edit the fontinfo.plist file in the .glyphspackage file and delete all occurences of "KO_", so that I have clean kerning groups. Upon reopening the .glyphspackage file and restarting KO, I find that KO has forgotten 5 and 6 models per master, respectively. Any lines I shouldn't be deleting in the file?
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Re: KO forgetting models upon file edit

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Your edits have invalidated the class kerning in the font. Be careful if you edit the raw text of the .glyphs or .glyphspackage files. Only do this if you know exactly what you are doing.

I just played around and did the same as you, replacing KO_ only in the fontinfo.plist. After re-opening the file and using the “Clean Up” command in Glyphs’ Kerning Window, the class kerning was gone. Why is this? Because the fontinfo.plist contains the actual kerning while the individual .glyph files define the kerning groups for each glyph, and the names don’t match any more. Before “Clean Up”, you can still see the invalid kerning pairs in the list but they don’t have any effect.

So, you effectively deleted the class kerning from the font. If pairs are deleted while KO is sleeping these pairs get deleted as models.
SCarewe

Post by SCarewe »

I see, thank you very much! A few months ago I remember you explaining that I could simply delete all occurences of KO_ from the .glyphs file (which worked fine for .glyphs files, but apparently not if I edit the fontinfo.plist in the .glyphspackage). Is there any way to do the same for .glyphspackage files?
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

You could do a multi-file search (all good text editors have that feature) to also rename the kerning groups in the .glyph files – but do so at your own risk. I don’t understand why you would want to rename the kerning groups and later re-start Kern On (which will erase all kerning groups) but that discussion will probably go in circles.
SCarewe

Post by SCarewe »

Upon export, I want the font to have "clean" kerning groups, that's the reason I rename the kerning groups – it's only if I realise I want to tweak some kerning here and there, some general inconsistencies or whatever, that I want to restart KO. I know I'm not making much sense, though ;)