Need help understanding special spacing...

brianbrubaker

Need help understanding special spacing...

Post by brianbrubaker »

As I understand it, KO automatically groups numbers and uppercase as the same special spacing group as part of standard kerning. However, I'd like all my numbers to be a little more spaced out relative to each other. So, I put all the numbers in their own special spacing group but I keep running into this issue where KO is arguing with me about this decision.

As per Tim's sweet video on special spacing, it seems like you should be able to set models for glyphs within the same special spacing group (e.g. 1–1) and also with other groups (e.g. H–1) without creating contradictions.

Any insight would be helpful!
Attachments
here it seems like the two different spacing groups are arguing when they shouldn't be—numbers are set to their own special spacing group from the uppercase
here it seems like the two different spacing groups are arguing when they shouldn't be—numbers are set to their own special spacing group from the uppercase
Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 2.18.09 PM.png (162.04 KiB) Viewed 6060 times
brianbrubaker

Re: Need help understanding special spacing...

Post by brianbrubaker »

Another example of this. If my zero is in its own special spacing group, why is KO removing n–p as a model? It seems like KO is still referencing my standard kerning models rather than the other members of that special spacing group. All the numbers are in that special spacing group, and I have multiple models set from that group. But when one of those models contradicts my standard kerning models, KO removes it as a model and vice versa.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 2.35.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 2.35.11 PM.png (193.74 KiB) Viewed 6060 times
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Hello Brian, what happens if you click “Try again” a few times?
brianbrubaker

Post by brianbrubaker »

Hey Tim, what happens is a seemingly endless "Try again" loop in both instances. Clicked "Try again" ~15 times to no avail. Happy to send you the Glyphs file if that would help. Let me know and thank for your time!