Disappearing kerning

claegg

Disappearing kerning

Post by claegg »

Sometimes the kerning is missing from the generated fonts. This usually happens when I work on some glyphs and then generate the fonts. Then I have to let Kern On run a full new kerning to get it back.

Is this expected behaviour? (It is a bit unpractical)
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Re: Disappearing kerning

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Not sure what exactly is happening. As you start Kern On, all autokerning is removed (only models and independents are kept). While Kern On is running, all the necessary kerning (i.e. for the text you type into the editor) is generated on-the-fly.
claegg

Post by claegg »

Ahh, I see. I sometimes start KO to make an adjustment, but then exit it without running the KO generation (because it is time consuming).
Philip L

Post by Philip L »

The same confusion happened to me. The first time I tested Kern On, I wondered why the KO window disappeared. I wanted to check if it crashed or showed some notification about a successful generating or so. Maybe a warning about deleting the former kerning before continuing would be useful? Also I think it would be useful to edit some models but have the choice to close the KO modus by “Kern On“ or use the former kerning temporarily.