f kerned, f.italic not kerned

Morula Type

f kerned, f.italic not kerned

Post by Morula Type »

Hi!
I'm kerning a font that has a regular f and then an f.italic (and several ligatures with it that are triggered along the italic axes with a rlig feature, named for instance f_f_i.dlig.italic). Kern on doesn't seem to apply the kerning to the .italic characters, even though they are set to standard kerning. Any clue why?
Thanks in advance
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Re: f kerned, f.italic not kerned

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Are the .italic glyphs accessible via any OT feature? In other words, is there any OT feature that has something like sub f by f.italic? If there isn’t then Kern On does not generate the auto-pairs for these glyphs. (The roboty answer would be that this means that in the exported font, these glyphs cannot be used, so they do not need to be kerned.) Kern On never refers to glyph names, it looks at Unicode values and OT features.

In case your font does have the feature for these glyph then something else seems to be going wrong, maybe you can send me the font so I can have a closer look.
Morula Type

Re: f kerned, f.italic not kerned

Post by Morula Type »

Thank you for the fast reply. Indeed, I had stored the substitutions in .rlig and not .ital. Adding both features solved the problem!
Cheers