Inconsistent Auto Pairs

tantsurin@gmail.com

Inconsistent Auto Pairs

Post by tantsurin@gmail.com »

Hello!

I've been using Kern On for a couple of months now and while I truly enjoy the process, I am baffled by some things to the point of giving up every so often.

One of the major issues that I run into is inconsistencies in Auto pairs in italics, for instance I am attaching one issue where I set W- as a model, and expect V- to look somewhat decent. As it turns out, V- does look fine in bold masters, both upright and italic, more or less staying within the specified range (-30 or so), however in Light Italic is suddenly gets stuck at 0, while Light is auto set at -29.

There's a huge gap from -29 to 0, so it's definitely not something I want to ignore. In the end, I find, I spend a ton of time trying to untangle such minor quirks. I am okay with some minor +- 5 units inconsistencies, but when it's more than that I get super uneasy about the workflow, as it feels like I am not in control and can't rely on how KO is supposed to work.

Is there a reason it does that, or is this simply a glitch?

I am attaching 2 screenshots for reference.

Thanks!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2024-03-15 at 11.45.38.png
Screen Shot 2024-03-15 at 11.45.38.png (109.64 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
Screen Shot 2024-03-15 at 11.45.34.png
Screen Shot 2024-03-15 at 11.45.34.png (106.94 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Re: Inconsistent Auto Pairs

Post by Tim Ahrens »

This does look a bit strange indeed. Would you mind sending me the file?

As a side note, one thing I noticed (although it does not explain the behaviour) is, why does the V have larger sidebearings than the W? I’d expect them to be the same or smaller.