loosing kerns

synthview

loosing kerns

Post by synthview »

Hello,
I see a strange behaviour I can't explain after installing 1.30:
I run Kern-on (limit range 56kB), then export my font and reopen some graphic files I did in photoshop (as it is easy to see kern differences after "text update"command in PSP on opening a file).
When opening them, I notice some very essential kerns such as Ty are lost.
So I go back in Glyphs, I write Ty in text view and I see Kern On to kern it automatically.
I export again (without running Kern On!) and this time my Ty kern work again in PSP.

Any idea of what is happeing?
synthview

Re: loosing kerns

Post by synthview »

So, I understand that kern-on does add kern values to the file as it sees them (the kern-on button is for generating other combos).
Checking I see I have lost many or all UC-lc kerns but not only.
Models are there, so I can't undertand why running the "Kern-on" button does not creates all these kern couples. I need to write them in text mode to make them kerned…
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

This is really difficult to answer without having the font file, I am afraid. Would you mind sending it to me?
synthview

Post by synthview »

ok, may I have an email address?
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

You can just reply to your purchase confirmation e-mail, or use the one given in the footer at https://kern-on.com/
synthview

Post by synthview »

Don't know if it is related, but it seems I have lost almost all kerns (but not all) after a Glyphs crash. Thankfully I had a backup so I restored them.
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

As long as you don’t lose models or independents because of the crash, you can just finalize again. (Keep in mind that all kerning except models and independents is “lost” the moment you start Kern On).