How to Kerning Group

luthfi_ef

How to Kerning Group

Post by luthfi_ef »

Hello, I'm a beginner on kerning and Kern On. Is there any fundamental guide how to group the whole glyphs? Or it works automatically?
Also, does Kern On work on numbers too? I have typed all the numbers and combinations, overall it looks good, but for the number 8 after applying Kern On the right and left side looks loose. I look small yellow rectangle at the bottom of 8, I'm not sure what sign of that.
Thank you so much!
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 07.45.36.png
Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 07.45.36.png (444.48 KiB) Viewed 2043 times
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Re: How to Kerning Group

Post by Tim Ahrens »

luthfi_ef wrote: 10 Apr 2023 Is there any fundamental guide how to group the whole glyphs? Or it works automatically?
While Kern On is running, there are no kerning groups, only glyph-glyph kerning. Also, only the currently visible pairs are autokerned on-the-fly. As you type in more text, Kern On will generate the necessary pairs.

Kerning groups are generated automatically when you finalize the kerning (i.e. after pushing the “Kern On” button).
luthfi_ef wrote: 10 Apr 2023 Also, does Kern On work on numbers too? I have typed all the numbers and combinations, overall it looks good, but for the number 8 after applying Kern On the right and left side looks loose.
In your example, Kern On thinks that /zero/eight needs positive kerning of at least +25, otherwise it would be tighter than /o/n. We are not seeing /o/n in your screenshot but I am sure Kern On is not completely wrong. Of course, you can try setting /zero/eight a little closer than +25 and see what happens. Maybe the kerning engine will re-adjust and allow your current /o/n and at the same time the tighter /zero/eight. Maybe it won’t, and you will have to remove one of them.
luthfi_ef wrote: 10 Apr 2023 I look small yellow rectangle at the bottom of 8, I'm not sure what sign of that.
The blue and yellow colouring is to indicate negative and positive kerning. You can set the colours (or switch off the colouring) by going to the preferences (Cmd+,), Appearance, Kerning indicator colors.