Does KO need a keyboard shortcut?

mekkablue

Does KO need a keyboard shortcut?

Post by mekkablue »

Ctrl-K is something use daily for ‘killing’ the rest of the line. In combination with Ctrl-Y (‘yanking’), you have second clipboard, kind of.

Now, kerning is something I do not repetitively do every few moments, not even with Kern On. Because of that, I tend to think that Kern On does not need a keyboard shortcut by default.

Opinions?
SCarewe

Re: Does KO need a keyboard shortcut?

Post by SCarewe »

As someone who does kerning repetitively every few moments, I have very much grown dependant on the keyboard shortcut. While Ctrl+K might not be obligatory, it is still extremely useful. An option to customise the keyboard shortcut might be a good idea.
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

I don’t think any add-on should define its keyboard shortcut, to be honest. It has been like that for a very long time, and I have done that with my add-ons, but it never made much sense to me. Ideally, every user should simply set up their own shortcuts and that’s it. However, the whole shortcut system in Glyphs seems to have been a bit unreliable for a while. Maybe we can push Georg to enhance the custom shortcut system to reliably support adding as well as removing shortcuts?
mekkablue

Post by mekkablue »

It works better for some, and worse for others. Appears to interfere with system-wide settings. For the life of me, I cannot set shortcuts for certain scripts. We have not been able to track the issue.
mekkablue

Post by mekkablue »

I tried again, and setting a shortcut for Kern On works for me in Glyphs 3.2. Does it not for you?
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Is it also possible to remove shortcuts?
mekkablue

Post by mekkablue »

Sorry, totally missed your reply. 🙈

Technically it is possible to delete a shortcut, but only the ones the users sets himself. You can reassign defult shortcuts, but not remove them.

To continue what I started before, what fails in some installations are two things:
1. setting the shortcut: in some cases, the new shortcut is not recorded.
2. saving of shortcuts: in some cases, the shortcut is recorded, but after the next app start, the shortcuts have disappeared.

Only some users are affected. macOS version has nothing to do woth it, as far as we can tell.
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Okay, I just removed the default shortcut. This will be reflected in the next KO update. Let’s hope there are few or no users who want a shortcut, and at the same time cannot do so on their computer.