Something is very wrong with fractions

SCarewe

Something is very wrong with fractions

Post by SCarewe »

Hello,

I am running into a very frustrating issue with fraction kerning (which, to be honest, has been a recurring problem for Kern On). In the current version, I am unable to generate fraction kerning, despite the OT feature being there, me having set models, and the autokerning also working while Kern On is open.

Once I run Kern On, simply no kerning is generated. This also means that when Kern On is re-opened, the model values are deleted (=set to zero). I not only do not get any kerning for superiors–fraction and fraction–inferiors, but also lose the models I made.

Upon further inspection, in the file I have, no kerning is generated for my superiors or my inferiors, which is also very annoying. I even manually edited the pair frequencies for superiors–fraction and fraction–inferiors combinations (and gave them, for testing, a value of 14000). To no avail.

Any chance this could be fixed? Thank you.
Eben Sorkin

Re: Something is very wrong with fractions

Post by Eben Sorkin »

What data limit did you use for the generated kerning? 128k less more? IDK, but if that's small enough, it might make Kern On decide to leave fraction kerning out. you might also get a good result from using 0k which I think tells kern on to kern everything.
SCarewe

Post by SCarewe »

I tried up to 64k, to no avail. What I don't understand is how my editing the pair frequencies list didn't achieve anything, maybe I'm missing something.
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Sorry to hear about these problems. Which version of Kern On are you using? In case you are using the latest version you will find an “About Kern On” entry in the (•••) menu. If you could send me the .glyphs file that would be great, then I can have a look and I’m sure we’ll solve the problem.

Btw, model pairs should always be preserved, no matter how small the kB size is. Looks like something funny is going on there.
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Also, Eben’s idea is very good. If you specify 0kB you will get un-compressed raw glyph-glyph kerning. Could be a good hint when searching for the underlying problem.