Create kerning groups for everything

diegomaldonado

Create kerning groups for everything

Post by diegomaldonado »

Is it possible to Kern On create groups for everything, even if it is just a one glyph group?
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Re: Create kerning groups for everything

Post by Tim Ahrens »

In principle, this would be possible to add as a feature but why would you want to do that?
diegomaldonado

Post by diegomaldonado »

Not sure if I have a good answer for that, It's my usual workflow and in my mind is easier to organize things after kern on expand, when I do final manual adjustments.
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Using class kerning for sparse rows or columns is inefficient in terms of data size: We need 2 bytes per table cell, no matter whether it is used (non-zero) or not. Glyph-glyph pairs need 4 bytes per pair (each option has a certain overhead). So, for rows or columns that contain fewer pairs than roughly half the length, it is better not to write class kerning.

Manual adjustments after finalization, and requests for features that facilitate them, occasionally pop up here but I am not particularly motivated to improve this workflow. Kern On is not optimized for manual adjustments after finalization, and I am convinced they are not necessary. After finalization, whenever you find that the kerning is not as it should be, just start Kern On again and set another model or independent pair as neessary. Once you start making adjustments to the final result you lose the option to go back to the source.

Another thing to keep in mind: You can set up the kerning groups as per your personal preference, then, for finalization, un-check “Re-generate kerning groups” and you will get exactly the groups you want, including single-glyph groups if you have set them up.