Does Kern on replace part of Glyphs?

Eben Sorkin

Does Kern on replace part of Glyphs?

Post by Eben Sorkin »

I'm also wondering, is Kern On placing data into the existing Glyphs kerning data structure or in some way replacing it? I am not familiar with the structures themselves so my question is not really technically informed. This is why it is so abstract.
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Re: Does Kern on replace part of Glyphs?

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Yes, Kern On simply writes the kerning into the official Glyphs kerning data. If you are curious you can open the kerning palette (cmd+opt+K) to see what is happening.

As you start up Kern On, it reads the models’ and independents’ values from the kerning, then erases everything and writes only the models and independents, plus whatever you type into the window. These pairs are generated on-the-fly as you type.

This means what is in Glyphs’ kerning palette is not very useful information so I recommend to simply close it and not worry.

When you finalize the kerning, after pushing the Kern On button, KO will generate the whole kerning for the font, generate kerning groups (this is the official Glyphs terminology, i.e. class kerning), and write everything into Glyphs.
Eben Sorkin

Post by Eben Sorkin »

I did that you are looking to get everything done in one process ( used a few times in a row ) and not have in effect 'half a tool'. But I still wonder, after everything is written by KO and saved; I would like to be able to open the kerning palette again and let's say adjust a few things and then save. Obviously, the goal would be to get to 100% but I would be a very happy customer at even 90% if I can fix things that I can't somehow touch the way I want to in KO.
Eben Sorkin

Post by Eben Sorkin »

What about kern classes? I think that with KO you must set these yourself. But am I mistaken? I hope that I am right and you do set your own because I think this would mean that KO will be useful in more varied kinds of styles for Latin script projects and it will probably be easier to apply to scripts other than Latin as well.
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

• All kerning groups (this is the official Glyphs terminology) are erased as soon as you start Kern On. Don’t try to set them manually or you will lose them!
  • When you finalize the kerning, after pushing the Kern On button, KO will generate the whole kerning for the font, generate kerning groups, and write everything into Glyphs.
  • If you are not planning to re-start Kern On, you are free to adjust anything manually, kerning values and/or kerning groups.
If your font combines Latin and other, non-autokernable scripts, sorry, you will have to wait a bit. I am planning to add support for whole parts of the font’s kerning to be independent, like the current independent pairs but for glyphs and their kerning groups. That way, you will be able to do the kerning for a certain script manually and leave it untouched as you work with KO. (By the way, this is a very old issue. Mea culpa!)
Eben Sorkin

Post by Eben Sorkin »

Thanks for the complete and clear reply!