"Add models and independents from..." is not working

Jeremy Tribby

"Add models and independents from..." is not working

Post by Jeremy Tribby »

Hi Tim,
When I try to add models and independents from an older version of a font I'm working on, it fails. The metrics themselves have not changed. One thing I noticed is that it does not import special spacing groups. I wonder if that is the cause, or something else? When the transfer operation completes, it tells me a lot of models are incompatible, but in the old version, there are no errors at all and Kern On seems happy. Any ideas? Thank you in advance!
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Re: "Add models and independents from..." is not working

Post by Tim Ahrens »

One thing I noticed is that it does not import special spacing groups.
No, this is a separate feature. It is called “Sync kerning types from”, also in the (•••) menu. “Kerning type” means special spacing, standard kerning or no kerning. If you want to transfer both then you should first transfer (sync) the kerning types, then the models. One could argue that transferring models without also syncing the kerning types does not have much use but I’d prefer to keep them as separate functions.
When the transfer operation completes, it tells me a lot of models are incompatible
So, this means it does not completely fail (i.e. do nothing)? If syncing the kerning types does not help, and it still removes models unexpectedly, could you send me the files? Then I can investigate.
Jeremy Tribby

Re: "Add models and independents from..." is not working

Post by Jeremy Tribby »

Tim Ahrens wrote:
> No, this is a separate feature. It is called “Sync kerning types from”,
> also in the (•••) menu. “Kerning type” means special spacing, standard
> kerning or no kerning.

A-ha! I hadn't needed the function before, and so I was unaware. This completely solved the issue. Thank you Tim!!