Updating Kern On
If you have the free trial or demo, download the latest demo version to update.
If you have purchased a license, update the full version.
Kern On change log
v 1.14 2022-04-25
- Fixed the comparison function.
- UI fix: don’t allow interpolating and autokerning a master at the same time (thanks Hugo!).
v 1.13 2022-04-21
- Fixed some UI glitches: wrongly shown or disabled buttons (thanks Valerio!).
- Improved (background) checking for updates.
- Fixed inaccurate interpolated masters in complex set-ups (thanks Hugo!).
- Fixed setting and removing of independent pairs if autokerned from another font/master (thanks Sebastian!).
v 1.12 2022-04-05
- New feature: You can now autokern one font (or master) from another font (or master). Just open the other font, then from the (···) menu choose “Autokerned from” and select the “model master”.
- While a model is selected, holding down control to preview the “what if autokerned” is now applying the autokerned value in Glyphs, not only showing the figure.
- Several other small but important fixes and improvements under the hood.
Note: This update is likely to autokern the font somewhat differently.
I recommend to:
- Fully kern the font(s) you are working on (using the “Kern On” button)
- Create a backup copy of the working file
- Install the latest version of Kern On
- Open the working file, start Kern On
- In case Kern On removes models (this can happen), resolve the problems
- Open the backup file
- In Glyphs, activate the new version (which has KO running)
- Choose “Compare to...” the old version
- Examine the changes
v 1.11 2022-03-04
- Several important improvements under the hood.
- Additional inconsistency warnings.
- Fixed text cursor position when ligatures are activated (thanks Claus!).
- The KO window is now placed next to the Glyphs window (if possible).
- Better preserve high-priority pairs (if a model has to be removed).
- For model suggestions, prefer pairs that are models in other masters.
- Added Cherokee support (thanks John!).
- Fixed wrong Latin-Cyrillic pairs in Chuvash Wikipedia.
- Increased the accuracy of finalized (class) kerning values involving the fraction character (thanks Erkin!).
- Other small refinements to the Unicode pairs list.
- Fixed adding and removing user-set auto pairs.
v 1.10 2022-02-07
- Improved model suggestions and warnings.
- Somewhat improved displayed possible span (for the slider).
- Fixed a crash while re-working the exising kerning (thanks Yevgeniy!).
- Several other small but important improvements under the hood.
v 1.09 2022-01-13
- New feature: For models or independent pairs, hold ctrl to preview the kerning value it would have if it was a model. This saves you switching to Auto and back.
- Improved internal calculation of the special spacing amounts.
- Added support for some African languages (Kanuri, Bambara, Hausa, Tamajaq and Zarma) and U+2010 HYPHEN (thanks Christoph!).
- Fixed a crash (thanks Hugo!).
- Better support for Romanian with legacy Tcedilla/tcedilla.
- Unused kerning groups are now omitted.
- Several other small but important improvements and fixes under the hood.
v 1.08 2021-12-09
- New feature: Add models and independents from other master or font (to be found in the gear menu).
- Some small but important fixes.
- More appropriate model suggestions and warnings.
v 1.07 2021-11-24
- More appropriate model suggestions and quicker response.
- More appropriate warnings.
- Improved de-emphasizing of shapes below the baseline and above the x-height.
- No longer generates pairs between UC and .case. Thanks Christoph!
- pair_frequencies.txt is now sorted by script.
- Boosted “rare” scripts, i.e. all scripts are now normalized to the same maximum frequency (well, sort of). Thanks Sebastian!
- Some smaller UI improvements.
- Fixed a handful of smaller issues.
v 1.06 2021-11-02
- Fixed a problem with the signing certificate.
- Fixed a handful of smaller issues.
v 1.05 2021-10-31
As of today, we do not have a trial version any more (which was unlimited in terms of functionality, but came with an expiry date). Instead, you can download a demo version – its only limitation is that it will not finalize fonts, i.e. does not fully kern the font and generate class kerning after you push the “Kern On” button.
This version also features minor tweaks to the engine, refined warnings and suggestions, and fixes a crash when all metrics are removed.
v 1.04 2021-10-26
This version does not add any obvious new features but has significantly improved overall behaviour:
- More consistent, reliable and better autokerning results.
- Better model sugestions.
- Additional warnings. As always, do take them seriously but feel free to ignore if you are sure about it.
- Some small tweaks to the UI.
v 1.03 2021-09-30
- Fixed a couple of crashes on start-up (thanks Christoph and Christian!).
- Better support for soft hyphen (thanks Eben!).
- Added letter-to-hyphen pairs based on hyphenation dictionaries.
- Improved handling of conflicting special-spaced pairs and “Try again”-type priorities.
- Smaller refinements to the shape analysis deep inside the engine.
- Many other smaller improvements and fixes.
v 1.02 2021-09-16
- Tabular figures are set to “No kerning” the first time you use Kern On with a font. If you add them later, just set the “No kerning” manually, although this is usually not even necessary as tnum-based pairs are not autokerned.
- “Compare to...” now only compares the current master.
- Comparing fonts now also reflects spacing changes.
- Now you can click on the influencer label (under the slider) to insert it at the end of the line.
- If a glyph is modified then Kern On also updates glyhps that contain it as a component. (I hope this is reliable. If in doubt, just close and re-start Kern On to be sure everything is up-to-date.)
- The automatic selection of models when re-using pre-existing kerning is somewhat improved.
- Many other significant improvements and fixes.
v 1.01 2021-07-19
- Added feature: undo (to be found in the gear menu).
- Added feature: show glyphs and models for current special spacing group (to be found in the special spacing menu).
- “Show overview” now also shows standard-kerned glyphs, and has moved to the kerning type menu above.
- The prioritization expressed by “trying again” is slightly improved.
- If a model has to be removed, and special-spaced pairs are involved, Kern On now picks a more sensible pair to remove, better respecting the prioritization.
- If special-spaced models influence autopairs, the min/max range is more correct (usually tighter) now. This means switching an autopair to model without changing its value should no longer lead to model removals. Note that this new behaviour may also affect autokerning in general.
- Several smaller fixes and improvements.
v 1.0 2021-06-18
- Initial public release.