Manual keyboard strokes don't always function properly after latest KO update (v 1.24)

brianbrubaker

Manual keyboard strokes don't always function properly after latest KO update (v 1.24)

Post by brianbrubaker »

Hey Tim, just a heads up:

I've always been able to use the up and down keyboard strokes to adjust a given kerning pair value in the KO UI window. Since updating to the latest version and playing around, I've run into several instances of that not functioning as expected or at all.

Sometimes it gives me the system error sound and doesn't respond at all. Other times it will allow the change but doesn't update or show the change in the text strings I have in the preview. Other times, it functions normally.

Haven't found any correlation to anything but wanted to put it on your radar.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 2.00.18 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 2.00.18 PM.png (143.24 KiB) Viewed 4319 times
SCarewe

Re: Manual keyboard strokes don't always function properly after latest KO update (v 1.24)

Post by SCarewe »

I can confirm this. The changed kerning value is displayed for a split second in the text view, but then is reset. Only once I release the slider, the kerning value is properly displayed in the text view.

This makes kerning with the slider virtually useless.
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Re: Manual keyboard strokes don't always function properly after latest KO update (v 1.24)

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Thanks for the notice.

I identified the bug that leads to the wrong slider behaviour, and I think this also fixes the wrong behaviour of the key-up and key-down in the text field (which was not as easy to reproduce).

You can get the update from kern-on.com/update. Please let me know if any of the problems occur again (and don’t forget to re-start Glyphs after installing the new version!).
SCarewe

Post by SCarewe »

Still running into this issue, in a different form: Adjusting the value with arrow up/down is not possible, the text field is quit.
brianbrubaker

Post by brianbrubaker »

Tacking onto here that I'm also still running into this issue consistently.
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

I will try to reproduce this problem. The challenge here is, this text field is an interaction between Kern On, Glyphs (because KO uses an Objective C class provided by Glyphs), and macOS, of course. Any change in any of the three can potentially trigger this wrong behaviour. Would you mind letting me know the exact KO version, Glyphs version and macOS version you are using, and possibly the hardware? With my personal set-up, I haven’t experienced this issue yet, and it’s frustrating for me to know that the problem exists out there and I can’t tackle it properly.
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Update: I managed to reproduce this. Stay tuned.
Tim Ahrens
Site Admin

Post by Tim Ahrens »

Good news! This problem should be solved. Get the latest update from https://kern-on.com/update/ and don’t forget to restart Glyphs!

Please let me know if you run into this problem again.